I have known him for many years and he had a stroke in the past year or so and has had paralysis on the left side of his body ever since. I had recently read a book called "The mind that changes itself" which is about modern theories of brain plasticity and has information on new treatments for stroke victims like U Hla Thein that involve concentrated exercises to modify the brain and overcome the effects of a stroke.
So I had heard about his stroke and decided to visit him to see if I could help him with my new found knowledge. I started him off by telling him not to use his right hand and use the left to do simple exercises. First exercise was to put small fruits into an empty tin.
When I met him his left side could not move much and his hands and feet were curled up. He spent most of his time sitting around and doing nothing. His wife had to help him to do most things.
In two weeks he is now able to walk without a stick in a slow way. He can open his hand and move his arm a lot. Just started him off and told him to keep exercising everyday and now his brother has been working with him for a couple of days.
The improvement is really good, noticeable and gives him great hope. His family are all really grateful for the help. Just an idea and doesn't cost anything to fix him.
Lets hope he just keeps improving. It is certainly remarkable, and rewarding to see the change in just a few weeks. I am hopeful that if he can make a good recovery I will be able to use him as an example to help others in this country with similar disabilities. Who knows I may start a stroke rehab clinic here!
While I am on good news I would like to tell you all about the cyclone victims and progress in recovery of the delta region. The place is still off limits to foreigners but i am hoping to get permission to go there soon. So far though I have talked with at least 3 independent sources of information about the relief effort and I am glad to report that all sides feel that progress is being made.
The initial effort of emergency relief of food and water is over and the rebuilding of schools, buildings, water and sanitation infrastructure, and livelihoods etc is well under way. Things are getting better there and it is still a long way to go but I am hopeful that the right steps are being taken to remove the suffering of the people there.
If you go to http://www.ifrc.org/where/country/cn6.asp?countryid=121 there are reports you can download on the situation in myanmar.
I am awaiting my own visit to the area and assessment of where I can donate to help orphans before distributing the final portion of my donations.
Ok enough for today hope you are all well and happy.
the changes are a result of the info from the book ?
ReplyDeletefantastic. makes sense too.
ReplyDeletelove J xxx